Friday, March 16, 2012

On a Mission: Asking the Hard Questions {Part 2}

"People tell me I am brave," says Katie Davis, "People tell me I am strong. People tell me good job. Well here is the truth of it. I am really not that brave, I am not really that strong, and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am just doing what God called me to do as a follower of Him. Feed His sheep, do unto the least of His people." 


Would that be your answer? What does that mean for us? How can we be loving the least of these... today? Hannah shared her thoughts with us last time, here is another young lady to offer her perspective on some of the hard questions of missions work:


How has the Lord touched your heart on this issue?
I'm not really sure why the Lord gave me a burden for orphans, child slaves, and abortion. He just did. I can't really remember who or when it started but I've always felt called to something with children. All I know is that He has given me a hurt for these hurting children and someday He will show me what He wants me to do about that. Until then I need to keep listening, keep preparing, and keep praying.

How has that passion impacted your life?
It has helped my relationships with my siblings a lot. I have three younger siblings and I believe the Lord has given them to me so I can practice. It has also helped me become more humble I look at others who have gone before me and I stop thinking I'm so wonderful.  

What is one way we can 'make a difference'?
Remember that God makes the difference, if you are ready to always be his tool he will use you. Sometimes that means taking the first step without knowing what the second step is. The best way to make a difference is to not wait for the faith you need but to trust that God will give you the trust you need at each individual time. I know that sounds paradoxical but it works. He may give you a lot to do he may give you only a little. But it will always be just enough.

Not all Christians are called to physically move to foreign countries and devote their time to the desperately poor. However, when compared with the work missionaries are doing, sometimes our lives seem superficial and in some ways selfish. What are your thoughts on this?
I've actually been struggling a lot with that lately. There is so much work to do close to home and so much work to do  in other lands. Part of me wants to help carry the light into areas that have never seen it. Part of me wants to go help the children over seas who are hurting. then another part of me wants to stay here and help the babies that are being murdered right here in my own country. So I think that each individual should trust the Lord to give him or her their own assignment. Knowing that the assignment might change. After all as long as you are doing the Fathers will how can you be doing wrong? There is no "better way" then the way He has placed you in. 

Is giving money to good causes enough?
No. Money is not enough. The Bible tells us to give of ourselves. To give what we really prize. The Christian is taught to prize time and love, not just money. So giving our money, while good, is not enough.  We need to also give our time and our talents. However, you can be a missionary at home! Giving your time and talents to the Lord at home is the same thing as giving them in Africa. Once again the important thing is to be living the will of the Lord.

To the girls who have grown up reading missionaries biographies and have always dreamed of the missionary life, what would you say? To the girls who are pretty much happy with their American life and “don’t feel the call”, what would you say?
To the first group I would say this: Hi sisters! You're just like me! I am so glad that the Lord has spoken to your hearts. I have two cautions though: 1.) Don't get caught up in the romantic vision of the mission field make sure its the Lords' glory you want not adventure. 2.) Prepare yourselves by ministering to those around you. Don't expect to get out there and be instantly the perfect example to the heathen.
To the second group I would say this: Are you listening? Do you have a close relationship with the Lord or are you drifting? And if you are you are just like me! I have huge dry spells when I feel like just doing what I want to do.  But you know what? It's always my fault! If you want to be called, you have to stay within calling range; draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you.
What has God said to me on this issue? The verse I have picked as my own this year is this. "Walk in wisdom toward them which are without redeeming the time."  Life was given us to glorify God. The Lord has called us to use each second to the fullest. To seek for wisdom, to be an example, and to glorify God. A missionary is someone with a mission, my mission is your mission; to bring glory to God. That is the bottom line.

Don't forget to look for Part 3, coming soon 

0 comments:

Post a Comment