Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Actual Real Truths from the Mouth of a Nine Year Old

photography credit: rachel coker
{By Rachel Coker}


It’s funny the life lessons you can learn from your younger siblings. I think, as an oldest child, I always tend to assume that I’m the one who has it all together. I’m supposed to be the example of godliness and humility, and they are supposed to be following me. But, more times than not, I continually find myself humbled and awed by the godly attitudes of my nine and fourteen-year-old sisters that stand out in stark contrast to my own selfishness.

Case in point: My nine-year-old sister Ruthie did something really brave this year. She auditioned for a part in a play. Now, to understand how truly jaw-dropping and astonishing this is, you sort of have to get an idea as to her past history of acting. When she was a toddler, we tried to get her to sing on stage with the other kids at church. She would not have it. Like, seriously, not have it at all. She would cry and hide her face and refuse to stand in front of anyone. She wouldn’t even look people in the face. And it didn’t get much better as she got older. Up until about a year ago, she still refused to do anything that involved words coming out of her mouth while someone else was listening.

But then it all changed. Because, a few months ago, Ruthie found out about a part in an upcoming play that she really wanted. It’s funny, too, because the role that she was pining after was this really spunky nurse with whole lotta attitude to spare. Which may not seem like something that would appeal to a stage-shy nine-year-old kid, but whatever. Ruthie wanted it. She talked about getting that part all the time. She prayed about auditioning, and babbled on and on about what she would wear if she got to play the nurse, and memorized all of the nurse’s lines before she even auditioned. She even talked to the director and offered her old hospital scrubs as a costume for Nurse Zelda.

There was only one problem. Her best friend wanted that role, too.

Here is where things would have gotten really sticky for me. Because I remember those days of auditioning and praying so hard for a part that I thought my head would burst. So I remember casually asking before prayer one morning, “Don’t you really hope you get the part? Do you want us to pray that the director would pick you instead of (your friend)?”

I’ll never forget what Ruthie said after that, because it made all our mouths drop and minds spin. She just shrugged and said, “I just want her to pick whoever she thinks is going to be good for the part. It doesn’t matter to me. She can still use my nurse’s costume even if (my friend) gets the part.”

In the end, I think we all were shamed by our nine-year-old sister. All of us, me included, were so caught up in our excitement and competiveness and desire for Ruthie to succeed, that we forgot about what was really important. And that is that the director needs to choose whoever would be best for the part, and no one needed to be disappointed or upset about it.

In the end, Ruthie got the role of Nurse Zelda. And her best friend got another fantastic part, and they’re both really happy and enjoy running over their lines together. But despite the fact that Ruthie is coming out of her shell, and gaining confidence to speak in front of people, I think that I’m the one who really learned a life lesson through all of this.

Too often, I ask God for my wants and my desires to be fulfilled. I get so caught up in planning out my life and future, and deciding what I think would be good for me, that I forget to leave things up to Him. If God is the director of my life, than He already knows what role He wants me for. And it’s not going to be helpful to Him if I’m pouty and jealous that someone else is getting to do what I always dreamed of. It took my littlest sister’s unselfish attitude to remind me that it’s best when I can just say, “God, cast me in whatever role you’d like. I want to serve you in the best way that I can, and only you know how that would be. Just make me useful to you.” It may be difficult sometimes to give up the things I want, but my hope is that with this as my prayer, I’ll be able to do the absolute best job at whatever role I get in the grand scheme of God’s perfect will.

5 comments:

  1. This is great!!!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this ! you are so right, little kids can teach us so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. .that lesson is just like a prayer and surprisingly I said it ..Lord, Cast me into any role that you'd like for me ..Take me and place me unto anywhere that is good for me..Sorry if I have been pouty and jealous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. .that lesson is just like a prayer and surprisingly I said it ..Lord, Cast me into any role that you'd like for me ..Take me and place me unto anywhere that is good for me..Sorry if I have been pouty and jealous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. .that lesson is just like a prayer and surprisingly I said it ..Lord, Cast me into any role that you'd like for me ..Take me and place me unto anywhere that is good for me..Sorry if I have been pouty and jealous

    ReplyDelete