Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Insecurity, Authenticity, and a One-Size-Fits-All Halo

{by Hailey Sadler}

There are lots of good things to hide behind.


I was very young when I learned this important fact of life. Things like doors, sofas, or rows of clothes in the depths of a closet if you didn’t mind the smothering sensation of choking on the smell of shoes. These things came in handy if hide-and-seek was the name of the game, or you wanted to scare an unsuspecting sister into screeching. [Not that I ever did that; I was a model child.] The funny thing is, I still look around and see there a lot of good things that we use to hide behind. Things like make-up…school work…a packed social life…or spirituality...

These are the thoughts that have been percolating in my brain this week. I thought I would share with you three articles that all sort of came together for me these past few days...

First, it is important to recognize that insecurity is one of the biggest hindrances to true authenticity. Ally Spotts, who has a fantastic blog, wrote a post on this, The Problem with Insecurity and How to Overcome It.

It’s true: it can be scary to put yourself out there. To be honest with yourself and with others.  My blogger friend Caitlin Muir wrote an article, Sushi Revisted, about the freedom of being genuine, that [believe me] you really do want to check out.

Sometimes, we choose to hide behind an attractive mask of spirituality instead of being real. Slapping on a one-size-fits-all plastic halo, we offer our friends advice we aren’t taking.  For a stirring and deeply honest post on this topic visit Hannah Farver and read Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth. It is beautiful.

I’ll leave you with a thought from one of my friends, who I was talking to about this recently-ish. He said: “it’s a common thing [this insecurity, or fear of putting yourself out there] but one that unnecessarily paralyzes people from doing great things.”

What is keeping you from doing greater things?

0 comments:

Post a Comment